The Bible says that all have sinned and fallen short of God’s glory (Rom 3:23).
We all need forgiveness and none is exempt. Our redemption is only through Christ by God’s grace. Jesus shed his precious blood on the cross and paid for our sins.
Forgiveness is not an automatic process – If someone had told you that, they are lying – test it using the word of God. Forgiveness involves two sides – God and Us. The steps are very simple – we do the first 6 steps and God does the remaining.
What we need to do
- Approach God with faith (Hebrews 11:6)
- Humble ourselves (2 Chronicles 7:14, Proverbs 16:5)
- Not hide our sins (Proverbs 28:13)
- Confess our sins (1 John 1:9, Proverbs 28:13)
- Repent and turn away from doing it again (Prov 28:13, Ps 97:10, Acts 3:19)
- Forgive others who have sinned against us (Matt 6:15)
What God does
- Jesus has already paid the price for our sins (Rom 3:25, I John 2:2)
- God is faithful to forgive us of all sins and makes us righteous (1 John 1:9, Psalms 103:3, Isaiah 1:8)
- He forgives us in infinite measure (Psalms 103:12)
- He forgets that we sinned against him (Hebrews 8:21, Micah 7:19)
- Joy and merry in heaven (Luke 15:7)
- God clothes us with a new robe (robe of salvation) and honors us (Luke 15:22)
When we know the truth about Forgiveness, the enemy cannot take us for a ride. God has already defeated the enemy and won the victory for us on the cross. It is ours now. We are to go and possess the gift that God has given to each of us. The only way the enemy can defeat us is by making us believe in the lie that we are not totally forgiven. Therefore, let us not live in guilt and accuse ourselves.
God loves us so much that he did not spare his own son to die for us. Why remain in bondage when we are now his sons and daughters. Because Christ has forgiven us, we can boldly confess – “we are the righteousness of God through Christ”.